Albertsons Store Director in FAIRFAX, Virginia
The Store Director is responsible for the day to day operations of the store. The Store Director has overall responsibility for the store operation and employees. The Store Director is responsible for making store level decisions on hiring, training, disciplinary action, and scheduling. The Company expects the Store Director will spend more than half their time in directing others, managing the enterprise, and activities directly and closely related to those tasks and that anyone having difficulty doing will inform their District Manager and/or Human Resources so that additional training can be provided.
- Overall management responsibility for the operation of a retail grocery store. This includes but not limited to store performance, control of cash, inventory and security, customer service, and management of staff
- Track, analyze and take action to improve store performance by forecasting of weekly/daily sales goals and meeting or exceeding established goals.
- Communicate sales goals, department performance and sales opportunities with staff to ensure positive results
- Forecast, schedule, and monitor labor to be consistent with store sales and productivity guidelines and wage budgets; create action plan to address cost control issues
- Develop and direct the execution of strategies to improve product placement and appearance
- Manage display accuracy and appearance to implement promotions. Ensure that products are properly displayed and ordered in a manner to maintain in-stock conditions.
- Manage issues relating to store maintenance, cleanliness, safety and sanitation.
- Oversee and manage handling of cash and accounting. Ensure store is secured.
- Prioritize, plan, and coordinate work activities, and manage time and resources so that work objectives are timely met.
- Ensure compliance with legal requirements and company policies and procedures, including money handling, check cashing, security, food safety, worker and customer safety, sanitation, consumer protection laws (e.g., recalls), accurate and timely payment of wages, etc.
- Focus on customer satisfaction and needs, ensure that employees provide customers with superior customer service through use of best practices and training and coaching concerning the importance of superior customer service
- Handle customer and employee complaints. Makes decisions to resolve all complaints in the best possible manner for the customer or employee and the business.
- Select, train, develop, and manage job performance of store employees, with input from other management personnel; expected to effectively recommend hiring and disciplinary action up to and including termination.
- Provide constructive suggestions and encouragement, set performance expectations, provide honest feedback, and identify assignments to provide others with developmental opportunities.
- Maintain appropriate professional relationship with union officials, and ensure compliance with collective bargaining agreement provisions, if applicable.
- Maintain positive working relationships with direct reports, peers, supervisors, suppliers, and customers effectively handling complex or difficult situations involving others.
- Motivate others to perform the job and work towards common objectives. Comply with Company policies and procedures to serve as a role model to others instilling a positive attitude in others.
- Responsible for ensuring the store is properly staffed to meet labor goals, sales goals, and customer needs. Takes a proactive approach to hiring and in engaged in what staff is needed to run an efficient operation.
- Makes the final decision on hiring candidates, conducts interviews, and meets with prospective employees.
- Ensures new hires are aware of all policies, procedures, and receive the proper/required training. Evaluates new hires, provides feedback, and makes final decision on a new hire's eligibility to pass the probationary period.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma (or equivalent) required; College degree preferred
Three years Store Manager experience responsible for managing a department/team within a multi-department operation within retail, hospitality, or service industry required or five or more years retail or managerial experience in an Assistant Manager capacity required
- Retail grocery experience required
Skills and Experiences:
- Strong planning and organizational skills; strong math and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated prior customer service and supervisory skills or related experience.
- Strong understanding of overall retail store operations.
- Strong leadership and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Computer literate.
- Ability to make quality decisions while working under time constraints.
- Ability to get along with others.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: None.
- Ability to sit, stand or walk for extended periods of time.
- Ability to reach, lift, stack, and maneuver objects of varying dimensions and weights up to approximately 55 lbs.
- May spend long periods of time at desk or computer terminal.
- May use calculators, keyboards, telephone, computers and other office equipment in the course of normal workday.
- Stooping, bending, twisting, and reaching may be required in completion of some job duties.
- Workday is fast paced; Holiday, evening and weekend work may be required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by associates assigned to this job classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and skills required of personnel so classified.
Safeway is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (MFDV) and welcomes diverse talent and backgrounds
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled