Mayer Brown LLP Global Procurement Contracts Attorney in Chicago, Illinois
Mayer Brown LLP is a leading global law firm with offices in 26 key business centers across the Americas, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. We are a collegial, collaborative and diverse firm where highly motivated individuals with an unwavering commitment to excellence receive the opportunity, support and development they need to grow, thrive and realize their greatest potential.
If you enjoy working with team members whose defining characteristics are achievement, initiative, professionalism, responsiveness and adaptability, you may be the person we are seeking to join our Procurement department in Chicago as a Global Procurement Contracts Attorney.
Responsible for reviewing vendor facing contracts and agreements. Will work with the Procurement department to draft, review and negotiate strong, effective contracts with our vendors. Areas of focus will include, but not be limited to, agreements with respect to technology acquisition and services, telecommunications, professional services, consulting and outsourced services.
• Review, draft and negotiate a broad range of commercial contracts
• Adopt methodologies for reviewing and negotiating contracts based on Mayer Brown previously established standards
• Be willing to interface directly with vendors on calls or in person while leading the contract review and negotiation process in conjunction with the Procurement organization and business, technical, operational, financial, management and compliance stakeholders throughout our global Firm
• Work closely with Procurement to address both business and legal contract issues in order for acceptable resolutions to be attained.
• Liaise with internal legal specialists to ensure applicability and sufficiency of existing practices (e.g. GDPR, Employment, Compliance, InfoSec etc.)
• Support the Procurement department in reviewing outgoing Request for Proposals, Requests for Information, Confidentiality Agreements and Statements of Work
• Perform industry research on legal matters related to contracts with vendors
• Assist Procurement with management of the contracts repository and related tools, the contract lifecycle, including drafts, modifications, amendments, and approval processes
• Identify and implement improvements to drive efficiencies of contract review and vendor management processes
• Provide guidance when business or legal issues occur during the course of existing contract relationship
• J.D. required from accredited law school in U.S.
• Admission as a current member in good standing of a State Bar where the position is to be located
• Procurement certification in CIPS, ISM or other professional purchasing organization a plus
• 3 years or more of transactional legal experience. In-depth knowledge of contract law and procurement commodities, including technology, staffing, operations, facilities, services and other non-technology related areas a plus
• Strong knowledge of MS Office products (Word, Excel) required
• An understanding of commercial property and casualty insurance is a plus
• Good business acumen and familiarity with US, European, Latin America and Asia-Pacific market and regulatory landscape affecting IT and Non-IT vendor agreements
• Able to proactively identify and escalate potential legal and business risks to colleagues in the organization and craft effective solutions
• Knowledge of global laws and other regulations (such as changes in data privacy and protection laws) pertaining to commercial contracts
• Creative problem-solving ability with a focus on achieving client-friendly solutions while managing company risk
• Solid commercial judgment, including the ability to anticipate, analyze, and make recommendations
• Willingness to take ownership and responsibility for making legal decisions regarding contract provision changes
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task by prioritizing and tracking multiple projects simultaneously
• Ability to handle confidential matters appropriately and with discretion
• Able to collaborate as an effective team member and with minimal supervision to maximize team results
• Required to be working on-site most times in Chicago. Due to the global nature of our business, evenings and weekends maybe required.
• Ability to work with various levels of management and work effectively both independently and in group
We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits, including medical/dental/vision/life/and AD&D insurance, 401(k) savings plan, back-up childcare and eldercare, generous paid time off (PTO), as well as opportunities for professional development and growth. EOE m/f/d/v/so
Days: Monday - Friday
Hours: 8:30AM - 5:00PM or 9:00AM - 5:30PM
Job Type: Exempt
Street: 71 South Wacker Drive